Friday, June 16, 2017

Week 4

Week 4



The plan for this week was to develop a decision tree for regression.

Day 1:
  • I spent the whole day studying how decision tree is implemented in ECL. It was one complex code and since I am new to  ECL it was a lot to take.
  • I realized that the core logic of the splitting criteria is a very small part and most of the code is data transformation
  • Once that sunk in, I know what to do.

Day 2:
  • The choice to choose the splitting criteria was the next challenge.
  • The simplest decision tree to implement I think is the standard deviation based ID3 algorithm and I spent the day reading about it.
  • I also implemented the stub methods for the decision tree.

Day 3:
  • The day was spent implementing the splitting criteria and completed it.

Day 4: 
  • The first half of the day was spent attending a talk by Jamie Buckley, the Chief Product Officer.
  • He gave a nice talk on his journey in the tech industry and all the cutting edge technology at Lexis Nexis.
  • I was really impressed by the work in Machine Learning especially the Socrates project.
  • I spent the rest the day, completing the learning and prediction functions.

Day 5:
  • There was a small bug in the predict function and I spent some time fixing it.
  • I implemented a small test for verifying the implementation of Decision Tree and compared it against Linear Regression.

No comments:

Post a Comment