Friday, June 2, 2017

Week 2

Week 2(Getting the feet wet)



Back to work on Tuesday. My conference went well and made some great research contacts. 

Day 1:
  • My Desktop finally arrived so I had to set it up. Big task; since I was so used to the UNIX ecosystem that I actually forgot how Windows feels.
  • Never the less spent the day setting up the environment and finishing all the training tutorials

Day 2:
  •  Started studying the effect of different losses on computing the gradient. 
  • Came across a new loss function that accounts for managing outliers. Would recommend it to all(Huber Loss)

Day 3:
  • Realized that regression was required for both classification and regression based gradient boosting. In the case of classification methods, the gradient is computed on the probability of a class. Thus, we need regression methods to power classification methods.
  • Regression Tree is not implemented in ECL. I might have to implement this and I am excited about this prospect.
  • Thought of building a proof of concept using linear regression classifier.
  • Set up stub methods for Gradient Boosting Classifiers

Day 4: 
  • Completed the stub methods as planned.
  • Committed source code to github.

No comments:

Post a Comment