Thursday, June 1, 2017

Week 1

Week 1

Its really strange that it was my first week and I was only going to be there for only the first day. I had a paper to present at International Conference on Software Engineering(ICSE 2017) and had to be out of town. So I was working remotely for the first week. 

Week 0:

Since I was off for the first week I decided to spend some time doing stuff that you generally do on your first week. 
  • I went through the manual for ECL and ECL-ML.
  • Setup the environment on my local machine.
    • This was a hard one. Initially, I thought of setting up on my Mac but the support is not great for ECLIDE on a mac. 
    • Alternatively I could to code in a browser or command line which would be running in a VM. 
    • The best option is do things the way it was built to be done. ECL development is typically on a windows machine.
    • So I installed windows on my machine using BOOTCAMP and followed the setup instructions on HPCCSystems website. It worked seamlessly.
  • I played around the ECL environment and finished the tutorials and devised my plan on approaching the project.

Week 1:

First day is always great. There was a great induction program with a bunch of there interns. Swag and Free Food. Small tour of the building, some paperwork and I was done for the day(for the week :P). My desk space was really great. I appreciate the initiative of my mentors and the support of the HR in both Raleigh and Alpharetta in creating a great work environment for me.

Data is required for any machine learning task. During my first week I was coding my first real program in ECL and I developed a continuous and discrete dataset from the UCI machine learning repository to test my algorithms. I thought this would be easy but like most languages ECL does have a sharp learning curve.



No comments:

Post a Comment